As July is coming to a close, I am sitting in my apartment and living the summer life we all dream of. The insane 110 degree heat is blazing outside and I'm inside enjoying all the books, video games, and music I can before fall semester begins. My summer classes ended only two weeks ago and I already feel like I've been doing everything I can to fill my free time in celebration. It's been amazing. Seriously, non-students out there, you must do so much with your lives.
In this rare period of freedom, I'd like to take some time and share the things I've been loving enough to dedicate time to. If it looks like a high schoolers list, that's because I basically am sixteen.
- Minecraft: I know what you're thinking, "Shelby, you're joking. Minecraft is so two years ago." No my friends, Minecraft is now. And also it was two years ago. But this game is just so much fun to play, especially if you have friends to set up a server with and create a magical mountain castle with a bridge in the sky to a rain forest and a sheep you keep as a pet (aka captive). Also texture packs are amazing.
- Pokemon Go: If you're not playing Pokemon Go then you are not on board with current trends and that's commendable I guess, or you hate Pokemon and we can agree to disagree. This game is awesome and I wish it wasn't a million degrees outside so I could play more.
- Disney's Emoji Blitz: Again I'm on board with trends this month and am playing phone apps, which is super unusual for me. I don't play games on my phone ever, but I wanted cute Disney emoji's so I got this and was sucked into yet another Bejeweled-like game.
- Twenty One Pilots: I cannot stop listening to this band! We all know their amazing nostalgia-inducing anthem 'Stressed Out', but when I heard 'Heathens' I was so obsessed. 'Ride' and 'Lane Boy' are my other two jams.
- Lost: My boyfriend and I are rewatching/watching for the first time this show and I am sooo mind-fucked right now. I had previously only seen through the beginning of season 2 and he season 3, so we decided we wanted to know what really happened on that mysterious island. Well let me tell you, we are mid-season 3 right now and SPOILER "Henry" just showed Sawyer that there are two islands! What?! So utterly confused. And I know my poor baby Charlie doesn't have much time left and yet they are hardly showing him! Oh, the struggles.
- A Silent Voice: This manga is a seven volume long drama/romance about a boy named Shoya in elementary school who constantly bullies a girl named Nishimiya who has a disability. They end up loosing contact for a while and eventually run into each other again later in high school. Shoya feels he needs to make things right for how terrible he treated Nishimiya and begins trying to rectify their relationship. I'm on volume four currently and am really enjoying it--although it definitely is a sad one at the start. I hope it ends on a happier note.
- A Darker Shade of Magic: After trying to get back into fantasy by picking up Sabriel by Garth Nix and being very disappointed, this book has been an incredible find. I am about 75% done with it and love it to pieces--a new fantasy favorite for sure. I mean, who can resist the kick-ass Lila, serious Kell, and charming Rhy? The basic plot line is about a man named Kell who is one of the last Antari, (magic carriers) who also happens to smuggle magical artifacts across the borders of the three different London's that exist. These London's all have different degree of magic in them and completely different people, and vary in their safety. Whilst in Grey London, Kell runs into Lila, a thief longing for a grand adventure. They get into some serious trouble and have to flee to the most dangerous place of all, the fourth Black London. If you like fantasy you have got to give it a go.
- The Weight of It All: I featured an artist so this is a song I cannot get enough of by a band called Handsome Ghost. It's a bit of a downer but melancholy music is my specialty. I imagine this as a beautiful duet stripped down acoustically and recorded live someday . . .
- Once Upon A Time: I know like, 1/3 of the cast of Lost is in this, but I mostly ignore them. I'm all in this for Hook, Bae, and Snow. I picked this back up again to have something on while doing my chemistry labs and just kept it up. I'm in the Neverland arc right now and cannot get enough. They have made Peter thoroughly terrifying and it's glorious. And Hook, well, he is also glorious.